I’m so excited to be writing this not-yet-amazing blog post! For some time now I have been thinking about all of these amazing things that I want to blog about, and dreaming up all these different amazing design elements that I want to incorporate into my own personal blog. Problem is, my expectations are set so high it has prevented me from getting my blog started. Well that is going to change RIGHT NOW!
Before I go on, I am going to give you a few quick tips on setting up your own WordPress blog site.
- Domain & Google Apps- If you are pursuing amazing you’re going to want your own domain (sooner or later) I choose sooner. There are a lot of ways to go about getting a domain name, I have veracityav.com that I purchased from GoDaddy but I wanted to register a domain with Google because it has all the settings for gmail and Google Apps preset and they don’t nickel & dime you for a proxy registration to keep your name, address and phone number private. You can follow these instructions to purchase a new domain and get a Google Apps account. Problem is, Google now charges ($50 per account, per year) for the full-featured Google Apps for business accounts (bummer). However, I learned that you can still sign-up for a Google Apps for Business account for free by creating a dummy Application using the Google Apps Engine. If you’re interested in doing this, be sure to visit hongkait.com for a great step-by-step. The procedure on the site shows you how to add an an exiting domain that you already own, but if you don’t have one, you can purchase a new one here as well.
- Hosting & Installing WordPress- There are a lot of different web hosting companies out there, but I choose BlueHost.com because they have great rates, don’t charge you more to host more than one domain and they have pretty good phone & chat tech support. Once you sign-up for the hosting you’ll need to login to your Google Admin Console and go to the Advanced DNS Settings to get the login info to change your DNS records. From there it will vary, but if you want all your web traffic to go to BlueHost (which will have your blog on it) then you can change the Domain Name Servers. After that is done you have to wait…. maybe 24-48 hours before all the changes set-in and you can then install WordPress.
- Themes find a theme you like! There are lots of free ones but I like StudioPress, WooThemes and Elegant Themes the best. Don’t worry too much about the themes, because it’s easy to change themes and keep all of your blog content intact.
So back to my not-yet-amazing blog…. There are a few people I would like to personally thank for pushing me and inspiring me to get this blog off the ground.
- David, for modeling what an amazing blog is! If you’re ready to learn head over to The Readiness Is All
- JR, for encouraging me to start small and always being ready to share something at a moment’s notice. You can find all sorts of amazing stuff on his Google+ Site.
- Rory, for sending me a the nicest message to encourage me to get this blog going and to start sharing some tips I’ve learned. If you are looking for some amazing science lessons, games and projects click-on-over to her BioRorz in Bombay Blog.
- Last but not least, there was an amazing blog post by Seth that proved to be the lighting rod of getting my first of many not-yet-amazing blog posts off the ground.
When you’ve set the bar to the sky and you’re not going anywhere, it’s time to bring the bar down and start jumping over what you can. So I have no images, no widgets, no cool graphics or media. All I’ve got are 698 words and a lot of cool ideas of how I want this blog to be. However, I’d rather be moving towards something and gaining momentum than to be stuck in some amazing mud…. and that is what I call LearnWorthy!